With roughly one billion active users per month, Instagram has become the #1 mobile social network in the world. Based on image and its power of attraction, Instagram can help you develop your radio station’s image in an innovative way, while making your new listeners curious!
- Get a compatible smartphone (iOS & Android – Instagram is a free mobile app).
- Choose an username consistent with your radio station when registering.
- Log in to your Instagram account with your Facebook account, enabling your listeners to find you more easily (this synchronisation will also allow you to duplicate your content on your Facebook page).
- Let your listeners and your team know that you’re on Instagram!
How do I use Instagram for my radio station?
Before posting your first picture on this social network, you need to determine a content strategy and the image you’d like your radio station to have through your publications.
There are several angles that you may want to keep in mind, they aren’t exclusive but can still help you decide: behind-the-scenes of your radio station, on-site photo reports, spotlighting your listeners, news about the broadcast artists, introducing your team, showing your studio or equipment…etc.
Take advantage of this viral network to get new listeners
Instagram is much more than a simple photo album – your account is definitely the tool you’ve been waiting for to develop your audience. The platform has evolved over the years, and now includes many interesting features to help you reach and interact with a whole new audience.
Like on Twitter where you can develop your reputation by using many hashtags, Instagram works using the same principle. Hashtags make discovering the pictures you’re publishing easier to Instagram users. They are thus very useful to improve your content visibility and get people to subscribe to your account.
- Use popular hashtags: to take advantage of current news or the buzz of the moment (like RFM with Pokemon Go in the example below).
- Create your own hashtags: according to your shows, your hosts or your radio station.
- Check competing hashtags: take a look at the hashtags being used by other radio stations too. It can help you differentiate your radio or get inspired.
- Use appropriate hashtags: choose hashtags according to your publication in order to attract potential listeners. Like in the morning, we suggest you use the following hashtags: #Morning, #GoodMorning, #MorningShow, #MorningRadio etc.
- Locate your publications: by mentioning the city, region or department in your hashtags! This will help boost the visibility of your radio station in those areas.
You should note that a well-developed Instagram account can become a new communication support for your partners. It can be subject to a new ad space that you can offer for product placements or a few sponsored publications!
Instagram Stories are photos or videos (up to 15 seconds) that are only available for 24 hours. They are displayed at the top of your homepage instead of appearing in your feed. Seeing as Stories disappear after a day, they are generally used for posting casual content that you don’t want on your profile.
Top Tip: It’s also possible to highlight your Stories on your profile so that they remain available after 24 hours. People will need to head over to your profile in order to view them.
Instagram Stories also offer various other tools in order to help you increase engagement, such as:
- Polls: give your followers 2 choices and see which one is most popular. You can then share the results!
- Questions: allow your followers to give you their opinion, or ask you questions. You can then share their input to your stories and provide an an answer.
- Quizzes: ask a question and provide multiple choice answers.
- Countdowns: set a date and time (your next live show for example), this sticker will show how much time is left until the event. Your followers can also activate a notification in order to be reminded when the countdown is finished.
Off you go!
There you are, you’re now ready to conquer Instagram! We suggest that you keep these goals in mind:
- Work on the reputation and image of your radio station
- Reach and interact with new listeners
- Develop a new communication support
- Bring your listeners together by sharing exclusive content
Don’t forget to follow RadioKing on Instagram!